Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Live From the Open: Tiger Woods Prepares For Corde Valle Golf Club

Tiger Woods made his first appearance at the Fry' Open on Wednesday, joining in a little pro-am fun with some of the higher ups from Fry's Electronics.

Woods did not look entertained during the round, showing only a few smiles. Of course, it was hard to blame him, both of his playing partners were shooting well into the 100's.

Woods did look focused throughout the round, grunting at a few wayward shots, but draining several putts on his way to a well under par round on Wednesday.

His pro-am score read 8-under through 12 holes, and he birdied at least two or three down the stretch.

There were concerns, though, as anyone would have when all eyes are on Woods' every move.

Tee shots are clearly still a weakness for him, as he hit a few wayward balls off the tee, but managed to salvage pars throughout.

One thing he does do well at Corde Valle Golf Club is make the course look miniature.

There are no trees at the San Martin golf course, which is one reason why Woods was able to hit tape measure tee shots into the numerous fairway bunkers or decent rough with less than 150 yards left to the hole.

By his play in just a practice round, it is apparent that Woods will be in real contention this week at the Fry' Open. The course sets up nice for him, and by the looks of things he is settling into his new swing and new caddy.

-Woods seemed to feel very comfortable around new caddie Joe LaCava. They shared a few laughs on the 15th hole and walked most of the round together, instead of Woods parting off to engage in conversation with the owner of Fry's Electronics that he was playing with.

-Woods was in a chipper mood on Wednesday, maybe sensing that things need to change on his end of things at tournaments like these. A child snuck under the rope and walked right up to Woods asking for an autograph. Woods paused for a moment in almost disbelief that a kid could escape the mass security around him, then signed the program. He then shot off a quick glimpse to the marshals around him almost as if to say 'Let's not let that happen again.'

Woods also signed a long line of autographs after parting from the 18th green, and headed into the Media Center, where he spoke mostly about what he wanted to accomplish this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment